Temple Gardens in Bristol adjoins Temple church.
It is called Temple church because it was built on the site of the oval church of the Knights Templar, suppressed in 1312. Either just before or just after this suppression the church was rebuilt on a rectangular plan and served as a parish church. The site has been excavated and the oval outline of the former Templars' church is laid out in the turf.
It was also called Holy Cross Church, and included the Guild Chapel of the Bristol Weavers. Cloth weaving was the staple industry of Bristol in the late Middle Ages, and its centre was in Temple parish.
The tower is 114 feet (35 m) high and was built in two phases. The lower stages were built in 1390 but work was stopped when the tower started to lean to the west. By 1460 the city was satisfied that the tower was stable, and the upper stages including a belfry, were added. The lean is popularly attributed to the foundations of the tower being built on top of wool-sacks but is most likely due to the soft alluvial clay underneath being compressed
|exposure mode||full manual|